• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 ScribbyDaGreat

ScribbyDaGreat

Overlord

• Administrators
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

A while ago I was surprised by an email from Nvidia wanting me to come down and test drive their revolutionary new tech, then tentatively entitled VRR, now known as G-Sync.  It was pretty cool wandering the halls and seeing into the secret tech facilities at Nvidia and it was even cooler still discussing creating an IPS 1440 120Hz G-Sync enabled display for the hardcore gaming community.

What is G-Sync?  Simply put it changes how the GPU and monitor talk to each other essentially revolutionizing the display experience and ultimately, and finally, updating Vsync.

As of today gamers have to make a choice in every game - enable Vsync to enjoy a tear-free gaming experience or disabling Vsync thereby creating visual anomalies, but increase frame rates.

Without the use of all the charts and graphs, essentially G-Sync allows a properly equipped display to provide a variable refresh rate as the data is fed from the GPU to the display.

Overall this means your game at 55FPS will run at 55Hz - automatically.  113FPS?  113Hz.  This means zero tearing, no hassle with enabling/disabling Vsync.

Having seen it firsthand, and playing Crysis 3 with it on a display and off one, it is truly something you must experience to understand how important a graphic leap this is.  Both computers I toyed with were identical, both running at around 40FPS, and both having the same input lag.  The G-Sync enabled system seemed to be running at least 10-20FPS higher than the non-G-Sync system.  It was just butter smooth.

See this link for Nvidia's official press release and to read a much better description from my tour guide (thanks Tom!) Tom Petersen.  NVIDIA G-SYNC PRESS RELEASE

This is a monster step forward for all gamers and I cannot wait for the first Tempest G-Sync, 120Hz 1440 IPS panel on the planet!

#2 ScribbyDaGreat

ScribbyDaGreat

Overlord

• Administrators
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

Here's a link that actually mentions little old Overlord (in a small support section).  But, heck we do support this tech!

NVIDIA GIVES A SHOUT OUT FOR OVERLORD

#3 Black Octagon

Black Octagon

1440 Pro

• Moderators
  • 934 posts
  • antispam:
    spammers

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:14 AM

VERY interesting. Grats, Scrib, on what is clear recognition by NV for Overlord.

This technology sounds very interesting, however it does I think beg one very immediate question:

Can G-sync be done purely from the gpu side, or would a G-sync ready monitor be needed in the same manner as LightBoost and 3DVision? I'm assuming it's GPU only but then again they've reached out to you in the monitor world so I'm not sure.

Anyway, exciting times. AMD's Mantle news has had be excited although we're still to see the real life results of that tech. You have actually seen G-sync in action and in many ways your subjective feedback is even more encouraging than graphs by review sites would be.

Being on the future!

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)
"People often ask me where I stand politically. It's not that I disagree with Bush's economic policy or his foreign policy, it's that I believe he was a child of Satan sent here to destroy the planet Earth. Little to the left." - Bill Hicks

#4 Black Octagon

Black Octagon

1440 Pro

• Moderators
  • 934 posts
  • antispam:
    spammers

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:19 AM

1) BRING on the future...

2) Just read the second article and it sounds like special monitors are indeed needed. All the better for you Scrib, though it means we'll have to upgrade yet again before too long (damn you, lol)

"People often ask me where I stand politically. It's not that I disagree with Bush's economic policy or his foreign policy, it's that I believe he was a child of Satan sent here to destroy the planet Earth. Little to the left." - Bill Hicks

#5 stren

stren

What's 1440?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Awesome that you guys are working with them on this.  Any word on whether G-Sync also can control the backlight strobe timing so you see less of the transition?

Always wanting to rotate and add water.

#6 ScribbyDaGreat

ScribbyDaGreat

Overlord

• Administrators
  • 1,069 posts

Thanks Black!

To experience G-Sync you must have an Nvidia GPU with G-Sync enabled tech on it - so the best and brightest GPUs initially - AND you must have a display with the G-Sync PCB and chip installed.  

Right now, as Nvidia has announced, it has done the PCBs and snap ins for the ASUS 24" display mentioned all over the place.  This makes sense since I was told ASUS moves nearly 8,000 units a month with nearly 80,000 units in the wild already.  Of course that is a TN panel and damn good TN panel.

We are reaching out to Nvidia for our EVO panel and may enter the fray, hopefully not to be decimated by ASUS.

However, we are pushing hard in the IPS realm and will be pushing to expand G-Sync (which Nvidia already plans on doing) to other panel sizes and types.

This of course is the first official release day and over the coming months Nvidia will be releasing more information (along with retro kits for the aforementioned ASUS displays).

#7 Black Octagon

Black Octagon

1440 Pro

• Moderators
  • 934 posts
  • antispam:
    spammers

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

Oh yes, this really must branch out beyond just TN if at all feasible. Looking forward to learning more about it.

I also just heard that NV is launching a 780 Ti next month. I was going to wait for Maxwell, but now...hehe

#8 ScribbyDaGreat

ScribbyDaGreat

Overlord

• Administrators
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

Well the tri-4K setup I toyed with at Nvidia was really neat (playing Assassin's Creed IV on it!)  However, it is clear 4K is a ways off to becoming a gamer's haven.  While 4K is very pretty nothing compares to good FPS (lag, stutter, tearing - you name it the 4K had it).

GPUs need to ramp up, connections need to ramp up, and developers need to ramp up for 4K.

However, I am hopeful that tech continues to develop for the IPS segment making 1440 120hz G-Sync standard replacing what is, in mind, a tired format - 1080.  I cannot go back to TN 1080 panels I don't care how quick they are, they just aren't as good.

After playing on the 4K tri-panel setup at Nvidia, then sitting down at a 24" TN panel I felt seriously depressed.  The drop in visual color and clarity was appalling. And while 1440 IPS is still a drop from 4K, it is a survivable one.

Of course these are all soapbox opinions coming from a guy trying to run an IPS-based, gamer-focused business.  Biased!  Hell ya!

#9 3lfk1ng

3lfk1ng

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

Huge congrats Scribby, it's so exciting to see Overlord mentioned in the article!

I wonder if this is something that could be sold separate and outfitted to the current X270OC? If not, I may have to get a 2nd Overlord when the monitor becomes available.

Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS

Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2

Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

#10 tcmike

tcmike

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

Congrats on the publicity!

You probably can't answer this question, but I'll ask anyway:

Will this G-Sync PCB/Chip require a brand new monitor or is it possible to become an add-on/change out for existing overlords?  

#11 ScribbyDaGreat

ScribbyDaGreat

Overlord

• Administrators
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:53 AM

Dream?  Change out like the PCBs we currently sell making it work with certain IPS panels - that means all models not just ours.  Again, much of this depends on Nvidia, and my powers of persuasion, to move this tech into the wider world.  Of course, Nvidia plans on doing this, but that takes time.  For now they are focused on the ASUS upgrade exclusively since that's where the largest numbers fall.

Worst case it is not a drop-in replacement requiring a new display.  However, I don't think that will be the case unless we get frozen out since Nvidia plans a retro kit for the ASUS.  I saw that PCB and it is pretty cool how they integrated the G-Sync portion with the existing ASUS PCB.

#12 tcmike

tcmike

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

didnt happen to take a spy pen to snap a few photos did ya? haha

and dream I shall!

#13 ScribbyDaGreat

ScribbyDaGreat

Overlord

• Administrators
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

RIght?

I was more than a little shocked that Nvidia even knew who Overlord and I was.  It was a nice validation of our efforts to bring the best displays to gamers.  G-Sync in a Tempest would be amazing.

#14 tcmike

tcmike

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Yeah I bet that made you feel amazing

oh boy.. i just realized im in hype mode again. not this feeling again...

Kind of curious.. did they say if it was going to be an NVIDIA exclusive?

#15 ScribbyDaGreat

ScribbyDaGreat

Overlord

• Administrators
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

G-Sync?  Yes, it will be.  Nvidia is working with display manufacturers and system integrators like us, but I don't see them opening this up to anyone else to copy.

#16 jackstar7

jackstar7

Refresh Regular

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

We'll see what ToastyX has to say about that ;)

ASUS P8Z77-WS + 3770K + H80i + 4x4GB 1833 +  Sapphire 7990 & 7970 + 2x512gbM4
in an FT02 with an 1250X + X270OC+XL2720T + Realforce 87U-Silent

#17 ScribbyDaGreat

ScribbyDaGreat

Overlord

• Administrators
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

We'll see what ToastyX has to say about that ;)

True!  Can't rule out his expertise for sure.   :D

#18 TheZone

TheZone

1440 Pro

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

So When is Nvidia  going to buy you out Scribby ? LOL and I hope they work with you and OverLord.

Yes they need Toastyx .

HAF-X 942 / Asus Z68 deluxe/  I7 2600K/ corsair SSD 180/120/ EVGA 580 3GB/ G.Skill 1866 XMP 16G/ corsair  AX1200/ corsair H50 still works/ asus cd burner/ monitor tempest OC PP

2406901601.png

#19 OLBaID

OLBaID

What's 1440?

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • antispam:
    spammers

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

First thing I thought of when i saw the article on several tech Blogs was overlord. I am really glad you are going to ground floor this and look forward to getting a new one (and possibly 3) once the hardware is finalized. I have always loved IPS LCD's and have roughly 12 Dell's (all Samsung Panels) and although my overlord is my first glossy (had to see if i would like it and i do) the difference in fast action gaming at 120hz is noticeable and much better than my Dell U3011.

The Forums post that got me here are all true and although i hope you someday get a 30" panel 120hz is now the only way I can game. 

Overlord FTW!

#20 Black Octagon

Black Octagon

1440 Pro

• Moderators
  • 934 posts
  • antispam:
    spammers

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:19 AM

Great write up about this by PC Perspective: http://www.pcper.com...th-Refresh-Rate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Change Theme!